Friday, August 30, 2013

Back to What I Know Best

I remember when I first applied to Rochester Institute of Technology. There was a page that asked me to choose the top three majors I would like to go into. I chose Nutrition Management first, then Interior Design, and then Spanish. Throughout my entire academic journey starting from Pre-K, I had always been known as an artist by my peers. However, at the time I was not sure if art and design could be more than a hobby for me.

I soon got my acceptance letter that automatically put me in the Nutrition program and I decided to roll with it. I had an interest in Nutrition and thought it would be a great way to help people. I even liked to read up on it at home from time to time. Soon into the first quarter did I realize that I had made a mistake.

As part of the Nutrition program, the freshmen were required to take a sequence of basic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Biochemistry. I was placed in the basic Chemistry class not having any passion for it. My grades were okay in general but were poor for my own standards. I felt like I would be doing better if I enjoyed this kind of work, but I didn't like it and that's just how it is. I knew that if I didn't like basic Chemistry, that I would be continuing a struggle if I decided to stay in the sequence.

I decided to go online and see what other majors were offered at RIT, just to make sure that I won't make another mistake again. Illustration and Metals and Jewelry both seemed like interesting majors for me, but Interior Design seemed to be the best fit. My grandfather was an architect for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and for the Frick Museum as well, so I wondered if design was in my blood. I soon made an appointment with an Interior Design adviser to get my portfolio reviewed.

It was a stressful decision to make this change, but I am glad I did it during my first quarter rather than wait and spend more time and money making up what I missed. I finished my only quarter in Nutrition with a 3.0. I am now a third year student in Interior Design with a 3.55 cumulative GPA. I am not only passionate about my major simply because I love design, but I also want to carry out excellence in the name of my grandfather who I miss very much. I know he would have been proud of me no matter what field I chose and as long as I always tried my best, but this makes it feel even more special. Before he left us he gave me a folder of his old design tools and I still use them to this day.

I will be using this blog to discuss and showcase some of my work, to discuss design concepts that interest me, and to keep a log of my academic progress and what I have learned. I provided some links below.

http://mallory-monick.deviantart.com/
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Interior-Design-by-Mallory/8404307
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=226455365&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile








No comments:

Post a Comment